Friday, 22 May 2015

a culture of kindness - what will it take?

I happened to come upon a facebook post just now about an event in Lochgelly last Tuesday run by NHS Fife which I hadn't heard of, called 'Culture of Kindness':




Reading the post from a facebook "friend" caused me pain.  Because my family have not experienced good practice or a culture of compassionate care in Stratheden Hospital, Fife.  In fact members of my family have been subject to psychiatric abuse in this institution since 1995.  Twenty years.

More recently I raised concerns about the issues in Lomond Ward in 2010, the risks to female patients, the inappropriate behaviour of male nurses.  Then in 2012 I had to raise complaints about the IPCU, a building declared unfit for purpose by the Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland.

Eventually my complaint against the Fife health board was upheld in September 2014, in respect of the "unreasonable treatment" of my son, amounting to a denial of his basic human rights.  Psychiatric abuse.

What will it take to bring about a culture of kindness in NHS Fife psychiatric settings?  In my opinion it will require effective management of resources and close monitoring of staff practices, keeping a close eye on patient safety and human rights.  Positive action. 


No comments:

Post a Comment